The focus of my reading lessons will be phonics and decoding strategy based. My students currently struggle with blending letter sounds and decoding words. Many of my students become disinterested or frustrated when struggling to decode a word, and many often give up.
Both of my activities will have a focus using Elkonin Boxes to help students identify letter sounds/ phonemes.
One reason I am using Elkonin Boxes is that I hope this strategy will act as a reverse blending activity. Because my students have difficulty blending letter sounds to decode words, an activity that focuses on stretching out words, giving students an opportunity to listen to individual letter sounds, will help students better hear the letter sounds and how they contribute to each word. I think the Elkonin Boxes strategy and activity is really powerful when teaching students about letter sounds and blending because it uses a skill they are already masters of; in this case, speaking the full word. Students already know how to pronounce words, so they can use this skill to help them stretch words to identify letter sounds and the sounds that correspond to each letter.
No comments:
Post a Comment