Sunday, April 7, 2013

Noelle Reardon - Students

One of the students I am working with for my reading lesson is Molly. Molly is an ELL who just recently started attending the school. She is able to communicate in English verbally, but struggles when it comes to writing and reading. One day Molly asked me to help her spell a word, so I worked with her to sound out the word. When I asked her, “what letter makes that sound” she was unable to choose the letter correctly. For the letter sound “f” she picked the letter “d”. If Molly is unable to identify the sounds of particular letters there is no way she can be successful at reading words or writing words. I think by giving Molly more individualized help it will allow me to address the underlying challenges she is having. The other student I will be working with is Susie. Susie moved to the school not long after Molly did. Susie faces many of the same challenges that Molly faces. Molly however stays on task even if she has no idea what do, whereas Susie starts to do other things or disturbs her classmates. I think having Susie work in a small group will help her stay on task and will allow her to get the help she needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment